The calendar is from 2008 -- 2009. It is no longer valid
ODYSSEY: CULTURAL CONNECTIONS
Last update on 07/19/09
ANDOVER HIGH SCHOOL
ANDOVER, MA 01810
CRAIG SIMPSON AND REBECCA LEDIG
FORMAT: class meets for eighty one minutes every day with two teachers.
ODYSSEY is an interdisciplinary elective course that examines the integral relationship of literature, philosophy, history, fine art and current events of four cultures: Spain, South Africa, China and Russia. The course stresses student responsibility and empowerment, with an emphasis on tolerance of multiple points of view and questioning.
GOAL: The course is designed to explore the process of learning rather than placing the emphasis on the content. The goal is to produce empowered life long learners.
PHILOSOPHY: The philosophy of this class encourages
1. actualization and empowerment;
a. mutual trust and respect
b. the teacher is not the giver of knowledge
c. students are responsible for their own learning
d. there will be an interchange of roles,
2. a developing understanding of the tentative nature of learning;
a. there is no absolute knowledge
b. students and teachers should become questioners
c. a tolerance of alternative viewpoints is expected.
SKILLS EXPECTATIONS: Odyssey requires a high academic standard including:
1) analytical and critical thinking skills (forming and substantiating original hypotheses)
2) group interactive strategies
3) writing as a process
4) research techniques
5) communication skills (both written and oral)
6) development of student responsibility for learning.